Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Maybelline Lash Sensational Mascara Review

Share it Please
Hi Everyone,

So I bought this after watching a few reviews on YouTube about it. I like the L'Oreal Voluminous Butterfly but in all honesty I can't stand the smell after about a month of it being open. It does okay but it never wowed me to the point where I'm like this is my Holy Grail drugstore mascara. Now I'll admit that I absolutely adore the Urban Decay Revolution Mascara, it's by far my favorite high-end mascara. However, even that doesn't give me much length and volume but it does make my eyelashes a dramatic black and I love the formula. 

I figured if a lot of YouTube gurus liked it then heck why not give it a shot. It's originally $6.50-$8.00 depending on what store you go to. I got mine at Meijer (kind of like a Walmart but with sales) for $6.49 because of a $1 off sale, I also had a $3 off coupon making this $3.49 which for me is a great price for mascara. Honestly, I don't like spending over $5.00 for a mascara. (I get my Urban Decay mascara on Ebay for about $10, which is $12 less than in store).

I got mine in Waterproof & the shade Very Black (they didn't have the Blackest Black in my store available in waterproof but I think Very Black is pretty good too). Click the Read More button below to see my review of this product!


The Review

The Packaging:

The actual product is shaped much like the Maybelline Volum’ Express Pumped Up! Colossal mascara. Basically it’s a bullet shaped tube. It is a gorgeous rose gold color, which personally I like in a lot of things but not packaging, simply because it’s so easy to see the dirt all over it.

The packaging already has the wand in the tube so you can’t really see what the wand looks like except from the picture on the front. In all honesty the picture actually is what the wand looks like. This mascara claims to give a full fan effect with volume to create multiplied lashes. 

I love that it doesn’t give a bunch of unrealistic claims, like 8x the length of lashes. Honestly, I think a lot of mascara’s aren’t truthful about how their mascara will work with a normal persons lashes. The packaging also gives directions on how they recommend the product is used since the wand has a fairly unique design.

The Product:


First and foremost this is a wet formula. I like mascara formula to be a little more on the wet side but at the same time not too wet. This is a little wet for my tastes right now, but I’m sure if I give it a week or two it will dry up just enough that it will be perfect. The brush has three different lengths of bristles. It has one side that is really short, another side that is really long in the middle but gets a little bit shorter towards the ends, and the rest of the wand is filled with mid-length sized bristles.

The bristles are plastic so if you prefer a “natural” bristle this is definitely not the product for you. It has a curve to it, which is something I personally like. It isn’t a large wand but it’s not small either. When I think big wand I think CoverGirl’s Bombshell & Lash Blast mascaras and when I think small I think mascara designed for lower lashes.

Results:

Please remember that the results I received are mine and mine alone, everybody has different lashes that react different ways to mascara. A little over view about my lashes, they are about a medium length, not very long but not that short either. There are more on the outer portions of my lids and there’s a couple sections on each lid where the lashes tend to clump together regardless of how good the mascara is. My lashes don’t have much of a natural curl but they have just a little bit.

Now in the pictures of the eye comparisons below of my eye without mascara and my eye with the mascara you can really see the different. I did curl my lashes in the pictures simply because it’s something I do every time I’m going to apply mascara. I apologize for the bad lighting in the comparison pictures.

I think this might be my Holy Grail drugstore mascara. Honestly I love this mascara. I’m hoping that once it dries up a little bit it will still keep with the amazing results. It definitely did all that it claimed to do, which for a mascara is very rare. I definitely saw the fan effect and it gave me not only volume but extreme length as well. I applied two coats only but even one coat gave me a much more dramatic set of lashes. When I looked in the mirror I honestly thought I was wearing false lashes, even though I knew that I hadn’t put any on. It gave me a dramatic look that just accentuated me already big eyes.

I’m glad I got this in waterproof because I tend to have issues with smudging but didn’t with this. I wore this on a day I had a doctor’s appointment, went shopping, and was running errands. The curl kept pretty well, there was little to no smudging, and it stayed dramatic.

The Bad Parts:

Sadly there are a few issues that I have with this mascara, definitely not enough to make me not want to use it but enough that it is definitely worth a mention.

First, if you add more than two coats of this mascara it will clump and start to look wonky. I like to use the short side first and really coat my lashes by wiggling it from the bottom of my lashes to the tips. Then I flip it to the longer side and again wiggle it through my lashes to split apart the clumps. I will then move to the other eye and repeat the steps. After that I wait about 10-15 seconds before going back to the first eye and repeating the steps for both eyes. I said earlier that I have a couple spots where my lashes always clump together. I like to run the end of the brush on that area to break apart those clumps.

Second, if you get the waterproof version be prepared to go through a rigorous process to get this mascara off. I tried my Neutrogena Eye Make-Up Remover, because it can normally get off all types of mascara. This mascara barely even budged. Next I tried using Coconut Oil. This worked if you rub it into your lashes, let it sit for 30-60 seconds, the rub your lashes again. Another thing I tried was to once again try the Coconut Oil but let it sit on my lashes while I took a warm shower that steamed my face as well. This worked a lot better, however there was still mascara left on my lashes. This is a mascara that you can guarantee won’t budge if you’re going to an event where you need to look your best the whole night. If I find something that takes this mascara off easier I will let you know.

Third, price point is a little high for my personal taste but runs about average for decent quality mascara at the drugstore. I personally would not have bought this mascara if it hadn’t been on sale and I didn’t have a $3 off coupon. I won’t lie I will probably stock up on this mascara when a sale comes (Walgreens and/or Rite Aid tends to do a 40% off sale every few months or so on Maybelline and you can bet I’ll get it then).

Overall:

I love this mascara it’s definitely a favorite of mine. I might try the non-waterproof version, simply because of how hard it is to take off the waterproof version. However, I would 100% recommend this mascara if you want a fairly budget friendly mascara. Check your local newspaper for coupons on Sundays (there’s websites that will tell you what coupons are in the inserts every week) or go to Coupons.com to see if there are any coupons there. I think I’m going to start doing a small coat of this mascara and then putting my Urban Decay mascara over it since the UD one is not waterproof so it won’t keep my curl but will give me the extreme dramatic lashes that I love.

I hope you all have a great end to the week. If you didn’t see my last post about my life updates and why I’ve been so irregular about posting be sure to check that out. Make sure to leave a comment about what you want me to write about on this blog, whether it’s reviews or picture tutorials or anything really.

♥♥♥,

Aub

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Follow The Author